Sunday, March 09, 2008

Classy or Classless?

I have discovered one thing about myself which Ive learned by being asked to give feedback on friends hands/play or by watching those final table replays on pokerstars of the Sunday million or the $5200 freeze out with the cards exposed. I can almost predict the bet sizes and what the action will be as the play begins to unfold. But, what I've learned is that I do not listen to my own advise. I read a ton, I'm solid with the math of the game but I play scared. I fold too often post flop, too quickly when someone comes over the top of me. A little voice goes off in me that says.. I'm beat and I'm going busto and I really don't want to lose this buy-in now. I can accumulate chips early, playing the pot/implied odds game but I lose the feel for my game when it gets mid-stage when I get weak tight

That wasn't the case last Spring when my game was improving by leaps and bounds. I'm fine playing on someone else's nickel when told don't worry about going bust, Just play your game. I believe this fear crept in because of uncertainty in things I cant control. The price of gas, the falling stock market, rising interest rates, the fact that Ill be working for a gazillion years. The fact that things cost a lot more and I'm more concerned about paying my bills. That no matter how hard I/we seem to work, Im just a fawking rat in a maze spinning my wheels. Never sinking but never getting ahead either. Hence the big score alludes me and will continue to do so. But Im working on it. Self-Knowledge is the key to enlightenment.

Without a doubt PokerXfactor/CardRunners/Stox Poker would improve my game 10 fold. There in lies the rub. Time is precious. I'm trying to achieve balance in my life. Not doing too much of anyone thing. Do I pay the monthly fee to a site I may not be able to really reap the benefits of because of time? I'm sure one video a month would help me immensely. I'm a quick study, always have been always will be. But like a dieter I have reached a plateau. In order to burst thru that plateau I need to make some changes to jump start my ho-hum game.

APL is winding down. One more week left before the three final season enders. I'm pretty much a lock for the top ten tourney sitting in 6th or 7th dropping the 5 lowest scores (and that is with my two no shows). Per Ray (who crunched the numbers yesterday) the stars/planets/moons and a virgin sacrifice would all have to come together in one fiery collision for me to get scum-bagged out of the Top Tenners tourney. So, I'm thinking of not showing up for week 25. But if I show it might be for strategic reasons to keep someone on the bubble in and another person out. To say that this season has been excruciating would be an understatement. Man why do I feel this league has turned into a season of Survivor? Outwit, Outlast (some folks folding folding folding to reach the final table and bonus points which in a league that has dwindled to about 16 is easy to do) and Outplay (Haven't seen a lot of that, but I have seen major luckboxery).

Now I'm sure you wonder what that title has to do with anything Ive just said. Nada!! But it does have to do with some chat I witnessed the other nite while railing a friend in a $16 shootout to the WSOP Main Event. I was observing quietly to supply some feedback on leaks which I had pointed out about their SNG play. My horse who normally excels in shoot-outs was 3 or 4 way when a top-of the heap online player (lets just say he is ranked on P5's at the very top if not the top) showed up to either rail his horse or just be a mouthy asshat.

Comments went something like this.. I could win this in three hands... (Okay you may be good but even Annette_15 who has class takes longer to win a tourney then that) and then just some really bogus remarks about player stats, play, why did you make that call, he hasnt played a hand in hours etc, etc. My horse got to heads up and made an all-in call with a low pocket pair that got major Ha Ha Has and abuse from said known player..... Now, I am a really cool hip 47 year old, who acts a lot younger then my years and I normally get along fantastic with 20 something guys (Just ask Josh, Zach, TJ of my live league or John Penner who I paled around Vegas with last year, or my "nephew" Zackery and his buddy Nate who Ive gone to shows with). This top-ranked player could be my son and I would kick his ass. There is no need to be cocky, ballsy, rude, demeaning. Instead in your position you should be an ambassador to the game. There is a saying don't tap on the aquarium and you should exhibit some hubris. Karma is a bitch and being number one is short lived. I'd personally rather be remembered for my longevity as a class act ala Chip Reese or Alan Cunningham or Bill Edler vs. a braggard, who has nothing nice to say about "inferior" players. Besides who wants to sponser an asshat?


Rant over I'm sure you are all wondering who I am talking about. Let's just say he share's a name with one of our bloggers, who I happen to really get along with even though he himself has haters and who is known as the KOD.

2 comments:

BWoP said...

Must be the name.

That's probably why those Florida election results were marred by things of the same name.

lightning36 said...

Of course, you could always go to a country of north-central Africa that was once part of French Equatorial Africa ...