Sunday, August 24, 2008

High Heels Poker Tourney - Turning Stone 08/23/08

I went out on a brutal river beat (when down to three tables in about 27th place) when blinds were 400/800 with Ante $100 and I had position. The hand would have given me just about twice the average chip stack and I would probably have been one of the chipleaders. I called the $2400 raise with AQ and it was a three way pot. The flop came QJx. The woman first to act in the hand led out for 5k (I think she was a TROCK dealer) . A local woman called and after tanking a bit I repopped to 10k. The "dealer" lady shoved with KJ (2nd pair) and rivered a K to knock me down to T2400 and scoop a 40k pot. Ouch and its still not sitting well with me this morning. (Flopped quad Kings and Queens on pokerstars in my satellite for the 200k are not making me feel better)

Snake5970 couldn't make the trip but he called me after I texted him by bust-out. He thinks I should have just shoved the AQ. Regardless, I would have gotten the call and the outcome would have probably been the same.

Regardless, I had a good time meeting both Lauren from High Heels Poker Tour and Robyn from PMS Pokerwear and chatting with them. Robyn was at my first table and was out early after her turned flush was run down by the Ace high flush. There were about 8-9 local (meaning Capital District) ladies in the tourney. Let's just say there are a few whose play I respect (unfortunately they went out earlier then I) who I consider a challenge when I sit down with them, a couple of average players and the rest are calling stations/chasers and have no clue as to pot odds, or position but they will pay you off. I had three local ladies at my starting table. Since we don't play with an ante locally and many of these ladies don't play online I knew the ante was going to be a surprise and it was. One woman didn't know that once it kicked in it had to be posted every hand.

There were a total of 59 entrants with only 6 to pay. First prize was about $4400, 6th place about $600 Two men entered the tourney (one of whom chopped with Snake last month). They had bounties placed on them by Lauren. The appearance of men upset some woman alot. I could have cared less about it and didn't let it affect my game at all. One of the local gals, Dorothy earned $100 for taking the dude at our table after she got moved to it. When I told Snake that the dude he chopped with (the dude was the one who exposed one of his cards to Snake while in a hand in the late stages of the Deep Stack turbo because he was tired) Snake asked me why he entered. I had only heard that it was on a dare.

While our tourney was going on the $5200 buy-in Championship event was also running in the same room (62 entrants). I think the average age of the tourney was about 21-23. Jimmy Fricke (now just Gobbo), Shaun Deeb, Adam Junglen, and a host of other young stallions were all playing. Shaun is a local boy whose family owns 4 local fish fry restaurants (yummo) as well as being an online ace. I haven't met Shaun and when I was chatting with Jimmy we couldn't find him in the room so I could introduce myself. Jim told me his tourney was one of the toughest tourney fields he has faced. I didn't see Jim in the room when I left so not sure if he was busto or just taking a break. From the looks of the 2+2 thread Jimmy is busto but Shaun Deeb is still alive with a first place prize of $100k

I did qualify for the $200k guarantee on Pokerstars. And not only did I have quad Kings and Queens, I rivered quad jacks after flopping a boat!!! I've unregistered from the tourney taking the $T. Got some stuff to do. I think I will pass on live play tonite also.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats on the qualifying on the Pstars. Take the T$ and run!

Keep up the great play. BTW You probably would have gotten a call from that DONKEY anyway.

Another big score is coming your way.

Stay Strong, Live Brave.

IT

Slyde said...

yeah really.. keep up the great playing!